CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS
Every 6 months The Belly Dance Circle allows new members to join.
The enrollment period is only open for 2 weeks! Open Enrollment closes on 7/19.
Sign up now to enjoy the incredible growth, fun, and camaraderie of The Belly Dance Circle.
WHAT IS IT:
BDCircle is a peer-run performance venue. 6-monthmemberships and dues allow performing dancers of all levels to utilize:
Live band performance opportunities featuring traditional music. This performance venue is free from commercial pressures, such as, club owners’ demands and “Not enough slots”. All members will enjoy 3 performance opportunities with live band within their 6 month membership.
Recorded music performances at a members-only, closed gathering providing peer support. This casual performance venue celebrates all presentations including explorations “in progress”. All members will enjoy 3 recorded music performance opportunities nights within their 6 month membership.
WHAT THIS IS NOT: Please note: The BDCircle is not a technique class or a replacement for classes with your teachers. Please use BDCircle as a place to grow your performance experience level and/or to keep your performance chops in use. Do not join if you are not intending to perform with the band. These slots are very precious and ought not be taken up unless to be used.
WHO JOINS:Professionals, new performers, performers seeking to grow their versatility… all levels of performer are welcome to join the Circle.The only thing needed to be a member is the will to perform once a month (each month the group alternates between live band and recorded music).
WHEN DOES IT MEET: Performers meet once per month for 6 months at a time. Every other month, the group either dances in a members-only recorded music format OR, in a party to live band. The first Wednesdayof the month is the default evening however some Fridays are employed for live band party nights when possible.
HOW DOES RECORDED MUSIC NIGHT WORK:
Each dancer enjoys the following performance opportunities on Recorded Music Night:
• a 7-minuteslot during which dancers present their chosen music played off of their devise by the DJ. Each dancer performs a phrase, a work in progress, or a finished number. Members use the time as they like. **All genres of music and dance are welcome during the 7-minuteround.** Before performing, members state whether they want feedback after their number and from who. Or, members ask for ‘no feedback, please’ and simply use the space to practice performing. All levels welcome and all members are supportive of each other.
• a 2-minuteslot during which dancers perform to traditional belly dance music chosen for them by the DJ. A songlist is provided to all members so that they may gain familiarity with the traditional music on the playlist.
As in traditional co-ops of the 70’s and 80’s, each member is given a role which they fulfill in order to run the evening smoothly. Roles include: setup/breakdown, DJ, Leader, Warm Up Captain, etc.
HOW BAND NIGHT WORKS:
Public and families are invited to attend and enjoy this fun, artistic evening which currently features legendary New England players; Joey K on oud, Harry B on keys, Ron S on clarinet, and Art C on drums.BDCircle dancers, two months prior to the party,choose music for their shows. A shared bellydance playlist helps members prepare forshort, medium, and long shows. Slots are chosen from the list below:
- Cameo-Dancer (1 song or 5 min),
- Mini-Diva (2 songs or 10 min),
- Featured Dancer (10-15 min), One or two per show.
- Headliner ( 20-25min) One or two per show.
Each member is given a role other than dancing which they fulfill in order to run the evening smoothly like a co-op. Roles include: setup/breakdown, emcee, door person.
The group has a private facebook page for members and a google folder with details about the history of the group and how it runs. Join up and get involved!
WHO PARTIES WITH US:
Men, women, children, dancers, and non-dancers, please come to the parties with live band every other month.
Bring a snack to share, enjoy the socializing, party, dancers, and this incredible band featuring
Joey K – oud
Harry B – keys
Ron S – clarinet
Art C – drum
Follow us on Facebook.Belly Dance Parties every other month for the public to attend!