HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER:
Every 6 months The Belly Dance Circle has openings for new members as seasoned members step down.
Enrollment for this next session begins January 5th at 7AM.
Enrollment for new members is open for 2 weeks or until available slots are filled. Sign up here through a 2-step process of both registering and enrolling.
This next 6 month membership will run from February to August meeting once per month alternating between a “Non-band Month” and a “Live Band Party and Show Night”.
Typically Non-Band Night meets on the first Wednesday of the month and Band Night typically meets on a Friday. These dates are finalized during the first meeting, Wednesday, February 5th and are based on band and membership availability. Members who cannot attend may FaceTime in if they wish.
WHAT IS IT:
BDCircle is a peer-run performance venue. 6-monthmemberships and dues allow performing dancers of all levels to utilize:
Live band performance opportunities featuring traditional music. This performance venue is free from commercial pressures, such as, club owners’ demands and “Not enough slots”. All members will enjoy 3 performance opportunities with live band within their 6 month membership.
Recorded music performances at a members-only, closed gathering providing peer support. This casual performance venue celebrates all presentations including explorations “in progress”. All members will enjoy 3 recorded music performance opportunities nights within their 6 month membership.
WHAT THIS IS NOT:
Please note: The BDCircle is not a technique class or a replacement for classes with your teachers. Please use BDCircle as a place to grow your performance experience level and/or to keep your performance chops in use. Do not join if you are not intending to perform with the band. These slots are very precious and ought not be taken up unless to be used.
Professionals, new performers, performers seeking to grow their versatility… all levels of performer are welcome to join the Circle.The only thing needed to be a member is the will to perform once a month (each month the group alternates between live band and recorded music).
WHEN DOES IT MEET:
Typically Non-Band Night meets on the first Wednesday of the month. Band Night typically meets on a Friday.
These dates are finalized during the first meeting and are based on band and membership availability.
Members who cannot attend the non band nights may FaceTime in if they wish.
HOW NON BAND MONTH WORKS:
Each dancer enjoys the following performance opportunities on Recorded Music Night:
• a Personal Development slot. Members have 7 minutes to use as they like. **All genres of music and dance are welcome during the 7-minuteround.** All levels welcome and all members are supportive of each other. No critiques are given unless the performer specifically asks for feedback. Simply use the space to practice performing or to flesh out ideas with a supportive group of peers. NOTE: This is not a class. For technique and instruction members are directed to their teachers.
• a Classic Music slot. Members have 2 minutes to improvise to traditional belly dance music which aligns with the Belly Dance Circle band. Music chosen for them by the DJ from a songlist is provided to all members so that they may gain familiarity with the traditional music on the playlist. (As in traditional co-ops of the 70’s and 80’s, each member is given a role which they fulfill in order to run the evening smoothly. Roles include: setup/breakdown, DJ, Leader, Warm Up Captain, etc.)
HOW BAND NIGHT WORKS:
Public and families are invited to attend and enjoy this fun, artistic evening which currently features legendary New England players; Joey K on oud, Harry B on keys, Ron S on clarinet, and Art C on drums.BDCircle dancers, two months prior to the party,choose music for their shows. A shared bellydance playlist helps members prepare forshort, medium, and long shows. Slots are chosen from the list below:
- Cameo-Dancer (1 song or 5 min),
- Mini-Diva (2 songs or 10 min),
- Featured Dancer (10-15 min), One or two per show.
- Headliner ( 20-25min) One or two per show.
Each member is given a role other than dancing which they fulfill in order to run the evening smoothly like a co-op. Roles include: setup/breakdown, emcee, door person.
The group has a private facebook page for members and a google folder with details about the history of the group and how it runs. Join up and get involved!
WHO PARTIES WITH US:
Men, women, children, dancers, and non-dancers, please come to the parties with live band every other month.
Bring a snack to share, enjoy the socializing, party, dancers, and this incredible band featuring
Joey K – oud
Harry B – keys
Ron S – clarinet
Art C – drum
Follow us on Facebook.Belly Dance Parties every other month for the public to attend!