Join us for a weekly live-streamed technique class via Zoom. Drop ins are welcome (please sign up 30 min prior to class so have time to give you an entrance code) The 5 class and 10 class package also invites members to a private Facebook page featuring supplemental information and videos posted weekly, class mate-connections, and news of Craft related pop-up classes, workshops, and points of interest.
- If you aspire to delve deeper, to dance safely for a lifetime, or simply to learn more about the culture which created this dance, this class is for you.
- If you secretly wish to perform or already perform the choreographies of others or wish to craft and create your own pieces in groups or solos, this class is for you.
- Or, do you need a source to learn the secrets which make improvisation seem so masterful, effortless, and fun?
- If you relate to any of the above, Belly Dance Craft’s 1 hour and 20 minute weekly skill-building class with Aurel will be incredibly useful for you.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Expect to hone your technique fromactive posture to use of classic props as part of this course. These technique studies intersect with all styles of belly dance yielding stability, freedom, and fulfillment.
Also expect to hone the most integral element of our craft: knowledge and respect for cultural context. New information is being brought forward all the time as more leaders in dance ethnology and more connection between cultures is explored. For informed enjoyment of props, music, costuming, and artistically expressive dance choices, we lovers of belly dance never stop learning about the cultural roots and origins of this dance form.
With dedication to these two areas of the craft, we have ample information for years of growing in both the body and the mind.
Intermediate through professionals will enjoy the following elements of the BDCraft class with Aurel:
- Video clips, photos, and supplemental materials shared in the private Facebook page and during classes: Moving toward a more culturally informed enjoyment of this music and dance.
- Weekly Prop Therapy: Moving toward effortless use of finger cymbals, assaya (stick or cane), Balancing (sword, tray, jug, basket, stick), and other props including costume oriented props, such as veil, cape, thobe, skirt, scarves.
- Empowering Dance Technique: Moving toward safe body mechanics, polished hip and upper body accents, smooth isolations, confident traveling steps and patterns, stable and controlled direction changes, sustained and skillful shimmy layers, fluent transitions between all of the above, and full body integration; including head, face, arms, and hands along with feet.
- Fun and useful Micro-Choreographies and transformative Improv tools: Moving toward understanding of styles, icons, eras, improved musicality, confident construction of choreography, and culturally informed dance creations.
- After-class tea time in our online space. Hang out and chat about dance and connect with the group.
- Occasional Artist’s Craft Homework will be given in this class.
ARE YOU READY?
The class material builds upon already strong awareness of traveling steps, isolations, accents, and props covered in Belly Dance Essentials. Dancers new to our studio are invited to take BDEssentials for as long as they are finding it enjoyable before adding BDCraft to their course load.
USING ZOOM IS EASY
Signing up for this class will require students have the ability to collect a code each week which will be posted in the private FB page. Use Zoom.com or the zoom app to connect. Computer viewers see more of their classmates than phone viewers.
*If dropping in, please register 30 minutes before class so that we may get the zoom code to you in time.